Thursday, April 9, 2015

WHAT ABOUT BAILEY GOOCH?

In 50 days when Bailee Gooch graduates from Elkmont High, the Red Devils’ girls athletics program will be losing one of its leaders.  Gooch is the shortstop for the Red Devils’ softball team. She was the point guard for the basketball team. During volleyball season, she had the key role of the libero.

Each position calls for a person who likes to take charge and be a leader. That’s Bailee Gooch.


“She’s a leader, a quiet leader, who likes to lead by example,” Elkmont softball coach Mary Jane Hobbs said. “She has the kind of work habits that any coach would love. She’s usually the first one on the field and the last one off the field. It’s hard to believe that her career here is almost over. She’s been in our program since she was in the sixth grade.”


Gooch and Caila Norman are the two seniors on the Elkmont (8-5) softball team. Like almost every team in the area, it’s faced a difficult season with weather issues.
 

“In 22 years of coaching softball, I’ve never seen anything like it,” Hobbs said. “The first day of the season, I had players chipping off the ice on the sidewalk so we could get to the field to play.” The Red Devils had another game postponed Tuesday because of a wet field and a threatening sky.

Gooch answered five questions for Decatur Daily sports writer David Elwell.
 



Question: You play volleyball, basketball and softball. Do you have a favorite?
Answer: I like them all. Picking a favorite depends on the season. I’ve played basketball and softball since I was 5 years old. I guess if I had to pick one it would be softball. I have played a lot of softball travel ball during the summer. Of course, we’ve also had basketball and volleyball workouts during the summer. I’ve spent a lot of time up here. It’s hard to believe it’s almost over.
 

Q: Who is your favorite softball or baseball player?
A: I loved watching Kayla Braud when she played at Alabama. She wore No. 1, and I wear No. 1 because of her. She was a great slap hitter, and I used to be a slap hitter. (Braud now works for the SEC Network).
 

Q: Explain what a slap hitter is?
A: You are in the left-handed batter’s box. The idea is to start running to first just as you hit the ball. If you can run, it gives you a better chance to beat out an infield ground ball. I went back to hitting right-handed this year. I have a little more power from that side.
 

Q: What are your plans after you graduate?
A: I would like a career in nursing. I love medicine, and I love doing anything that helps people. They have a nursing program at the (Career Technical Center in Athens). The seniors in the nursing program get to go to the hospital in Athens three days a week and observe. I think I would love to work in the (operating room) or the (emergency room).
 

Q: What is your favorite television show?
A: I love “Grey’s Anatomy” and “Chicago Fire.” Both are about helping people in need. That’s what I really want to do with my life.

SOURCE: DECATUR DAILY

No comments:

Post a Comment